Construction of this new 70,000-square-foot combination Commercial Land Port of Entry and Border Station on the 52-acre site began with the primary objective of this project established to divert all commercial traffic from the Ferry Point crossing in Calais, Maine to the new crossing, thereby alleviating the congestion that existed in downtown Calais. The new facility utilizes enhance security that also allows for easier inspection of commercial and non-commercial vehicles.
Special requirements of the new facility include bullet resistant assemblies and LEED certification. The building also features an expanded aluminum mesh skin that allows the building to be viewed as a solid object resembling the emerging rocks in the surrounding area.
- General Contractor: J&J Contractors, Inc.
- Owner: General Services Administration (GSA)
- Contract Value: $48,327,000
- Notice to Proceed: February 25, 2008
- Contract Completion: October 26, 2009
- View PDF